Five sports you probably didn’t know about
- Courtney Cox. Most people know Courtney Cox from her role as Monica off hit US sitcom Friends. Nowadays Cox spends more of her time as a producer with her own production company called Coquette Productions, which she co-founded with her then husband David Arquette some years ago. Her co-star on the TV series Jennifer Anniston was the one that got her involved in practising the martial art of Budokon, a recently new martial art founded by Cameron Shayne.
- James Caan. For more than 30 years American actor James Can has been a practitioner of Gosoku Ryu Karate, originating in southern Japan, sometimes with the karate master Takayuki Kubota. With so much experience it’s clear to see why this star is a karate master himself and was even awarded the title of Soke Das by the world’s governing body of karate, the International Karate Institute. Some of his most prominent roles are for films like Misery, Thief, For the Boys and Eraser, but he’s probably best known for his war-time in A Bridge Too Far for groundbreaking role in The Godfather.
- Christian Bale. American actor Christian Bale, born in 1974, is well known for his portrayal of many well known roles like Patrick Bateman in American Psycho and in recent years he’s been especially well-known for his role as Batman in the latest iteration of the popular comic book franchise. Unsurprisingly for an actor whose appearance in blockbuster films almost certainly needs to stay in shape he is a fan of martial arts. The actor trains Wing Chun Kung Fu under the instruction of famous instructor (called Si Fu) Eric Oram.
- Jessica Alba. Taekwondo is the martial art of choice for businesswoman and actor Jessica Alba. She has said in numerous interviews that she enjoys Taekwondo as a way to relax and also keep her in shape for her various film roles such as the TV series Dark Angel, or the feature length films like Fantastic Four and many it’s sequel, Rise of the Silver Surfer, as well as Good Luck Chuck and Into the Blue. Since 2012 she has been more focused on business than acting. She founded The Honest Company in that year which sells consumer goods, with a focus on non-toxic household products.
- Guy Ritchie. Guy Ritchie is probably best known for his films such as the comedy Snatch, featuring an all-star ensemble cast that included Brad Pitt, Jason Statham, Alan Ford and Benecio del Torre. Perhaps his best known film however is ‘Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels’ which starred Sting, Vinnie Jones, Jason Stratham, and was narrated by Alan Ford and is the epitome of British crime comedy—to say nothing of British black humour. From the age of seven this prominent director had been practising Shotokan Karate. In addition, he’s a black belt in Judo and a brown belt in the martial art of Jiu-Jitsu.